Knowledge is power, and sometimes the more you know about a given topic, the more likely you are to make it a part of your daily life. For example, most people know the basic healing benefits of exercises. But even though it's considered common knowledge that exercise is super good for you, research indicates that only 2 out of 10 Americans get adequate daily exercise.
So, if you're already in the habit of regular exercise, congratulations: you're in the happy and wise minority! On the other hand, if you've been looking for inspiration to get you or a loved one moving more, then keep in mind the following specific ways that daily exercise can improve your health--and it goes a lot further than just strengthening your bones and muscles.
6 Healing Benefits Of ExerciseWhen supported by a balanced natural diet and adequate rest and recovery, exercise has been shown to:
You may also like: Full Body Workout
Insulin is an important hormone that helps regulate the amount of sugar in your blood. People who exercise regularly are shown to respond better to insulin, thus improving their blood sugar regulation, which helps minimize inflammation and decrease those draining, mental-fogging post-meal sugar crashes.
1) Improve Insulin Sensitivity
2) Decrease Body Fat PercentageBoth aerobic exercise and strength training helps your body burn more calories, both during exercise and at rest (due to an increase in your base metabolism rate). Plus, exercise stimulates your body to use stored body fat for fuel, thus improving your body composition and helping you lose weight.
3) Increase Muscle Strength and PowerWe need strong and healthy muscles for a variety of reasons. Strong muscles allow us to participate in our day-to-day activities with increased energy and endurance, plus help us prevent acute injuries at work, during sport, or at home. Remember, too, that muscles burn more calories than fat. So you'll be able to manage your weight better when you spend time building and developing your muscles.
4) Strengthen Immune SystemExercise is a natural way to bolster your immunity and keep you from getting sick when cold and flu season comes around. How? Physical exercise triggers a variety of biological responses that promote increased production of immune-mediated cells, better lymphatic drainage, and improved oxygenation and blood flow.
5) Decrease Risk of Chronic IllnessEverything from arthritis to osteoporosis to cancer to asthma to cardiovascular disease has been shown to be managed better, if not prevented altogether, thanks to regular strength training and cardiovascular exercise. Preventing chronic illness can also increase your longevity, allowing you to live longer and move better well into your golden years.
6) Improve Mental Clarity and Stress ManagementStudies have shown that regular exercise has a positive impact on your brain just as much as your body. From improving your mental focus, decreasing your anxiety, reversing signs and symptoms of depression, aiding with sleep quality, and increasing a general sense of self-esteem and well-being, exercise is truly a powerful and life-positive solution.
In fact, research has even shown that information retention is improved while learning material immediately after a bout of physical activity. So, after practice may be a perfect time for your kids to study for a test! Do you have another reason why exercise is so important to you? Let us know about it in the comments below!